“Togetherness is an important aspect of life. It unites us, gives us security, much-needed support, a sense of belonging, and encourages us to love one another.”
Kenya Animation Community Showreel 2019 - 1st Quarter
Who Are We
We are the Association of Animation Artistes Kenya (A3K) which was registered in 2007 under the Kenyan Societies Act and serve under the Kenya Film Commission which is a state corporation under the Ministry of ICT, Innovation and Youth Affairs. It is the sole association in Kenya that represents and aims to unite artistes in the field of animation and visual effects: Including 2D, 3D animators, motion graphic artists, visual effects, character designers, illustrators, storyboard artists, matte painters, digital artists, and other creative disciplines within animation. We are tasked to promote and represent the animation industry both locally
1.Bring together Kenyan animators
2. Create capacity in the field of animation
3. Educate and help create policies that cover animators and related creative’s
4. Form alliances with other related associations locally and internationally
5. Represent and create networking opportunities for Kenyan animators
6. Create a profitable business market for animation
To be the leading professional body in the animation and visual effects industry in the region to create a successful, prosperous, structured, and united animation industry.
Kenya Animation Community Showreel 2017
2. BUSTED! Animation competition held in 2014 was facilitated by A3K that attracted 20 entries from around East Africa
3. Fepaci Forum: The film industry we want - Discussion on the issues in the film industry. This was a step in the Kenyan Film market in recognizing animation as a medium of audiovisual entertainment.
4. Collaborations: ● European Film Festival - 1st time screening Kenyan animated content to which this year 2019, one of our board members was invited to go to the European Union in Belgium which is an amazing opportunity for the local Kenyan animation market in terms of networking opportunities. ● ASMO Workshop - 1st Stop motion work (16 Participants)
5. Representation at the Oscars Selection Committee Kenya from 2015 to date, whose mandate is to vet Kenyan content that is to be submitted to the Oscars for the Best Foreign Language Film category;
6. The Association has been called upon and responded to the following forums to represent the industry: ● Kecobo 2019 ● FEPACI 2018 The film industry we want discussion with all guides, associations and academic institutions in film. ● Kenya Film Commission Judges at Kalasha Film Festival 2018 and Kalasha Market Week Pitching competition 2019, we helped judge animated Kenyan content and the winners went to MIFA/Annecy in 2019. ● Karakana Creative Dialogues 2019 Karakana is a creative space where creatives come together to discuss their success stories, problems and opportunities in the creative industry.:Creative Economy 2018 Present during the creative economy where the President of the Republic of Kenya tasked the Deputy Director in charge of state branding and events to create solutions to initiate growth in the industry, to help the creative society in Kenya and bringing together all creative associations and guilds.
7. We represented Kenya at the DISCOP film market - Johannesburg and opened relationships with Discomics, Deutsche Welle, Toon Boom, south African animation association, Nigerian animation association, and Cote d’Ivoire animation association. In 2019, from the networks we formed, we have managed to connect the finalists to various investors which in turn shall grow the animation industry.
8. In 2017, we established an MOU with Animation African Network (AAN) that fostered a partnership to judge the Naiccon pitching competition, thus forming a mutually beneficial alliance. This is extremely beneficial for A3K for ANN is partnering with Mifa/annecy to promote animation in Africa.
9. We, together with the industry sector representatives were involved in the verification of the educational curriculum by TVET. As an endeavor to increase quality standards and the employment rate for animators in Kenya.
10. In 2019, we partnered with Artlaw Kenya.
11. Three County Workshop Tours -Animation workshop at the coast dubbed Swanimation Workshop in 2019 and 2020. We also Partnered with Coast Film Festival and Alliance.
12. Deban Kimathi university partnership animation and film hub.
13. Presidential Round Table Meeting Representation by the A3K, association.
14. Imara Round Table Creative industry forum representation by the A3K, association.
How To register
To pay for the membership, you can either
To pay for the membership, you can either
1.) Directly deposit to
ASSOCIATION OF ANIMATION ARTISTES KENYA
EQUITY BANK: MAMA NGINA BRANCH
ACCOUNT NO: 0150294210336
Membership registration fee is Ksh.3,000 /- for a regular member and Ksh.1,000 /- for a student (proof of student ID must be provided for the latter).
2.) Via M-Pesa
Go to Safaricom SIM tool kit
Select Lipa na M-Pesa
Select Pay Bill
Enter Pay Bill number: 247247
Enter Account No: 0150294210336
Enter the Annual registration amount:
Enter your M-Pesa PIN
Upon payment confirmation, send either your deposit slip or Mpesa transaction confirmation message to:
email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org
You will then receive a link to our registration form upon payment verification, which will be used to capture relevant data.
Once your data has been verified, you will receive a membership confirmation email.
*Please note that the Association reserves the right to not approve your registration for any reason it sees fit. In such a case, the membership registration fee will be refunded in full.
A3K, Animation Association Kenya
Liaison House, State House Ave, Nairobi, P.O. BOX 58013 – 00200
+254 736 52 90 09, +254 724 15 01 53, +254 712 52 53 80, +254 722 24 36 31
Our website is still under construction. We will be launching soon.